The aim of this study was to evaluate the significance of RACK1 in predicting outcome for patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) compared with Ki67.
The expression of both RACK1 and Ki67 in 130 patients with OSCC was illustrated by using immunohistochemistry assay. Multiple logistic regression and Pearson’s correlation coefficient were used. Recurrence versus non-recurrence of the malignant lesions was considered as the surrogate for clinical outcome of patients.
Multivariable logistic regression showed that the elevated RACK1 immunostaining was a factor having great influence on OSCC prognosis. RACK1 staining was strongly related to that of Ki67. The area under the receiver operating characteristic curve for both biomarkers in predicting recurrence was 0.72 and 0.70 respectively, indicating an excellent discrimination for RACK1 as well as for Ki67.
These data indicate that increased RACK1 expression is an important outcome predictor for OSCC compared with Ki67.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Fearlay J, Bray F, Pisani P, et al. Cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide. Version 1.0. IARC CancerBase No. 5. Lyon: IARC Press; 2001.
- Comparative proteomic approach to screening of potential diagnostic and therapeutic targets for oral squamous cell carcinoma.Mol Cell Proteomics. 2008; 7: 1639-1650
- RACK1, a novel hPER1-interacting protein.J Mol Neurosci. 2006; 29: 55-63
- The anchoring protein RACK1 links protein kinase C epsilon to integrin beta chains: requirements for adhesion and motility.J Biol Chem. 2002; 277: 22073-22084
- The interaction of Src and RACK1 is enhanced by activation of protein kinase C and tyrosine phosphorylation of RACK1.J Biol Chem. 2001; 276: 20346-20356
- Identification of a surface on the beta-propeller protein RACK1 that interacts with the cAMP-specific phosphodiesterase PDE4D5.Cell Signal. 2001; 13: 507-513
- Association of mumps virus V protein with RACK1 results in dissociation of STAT-1 from the alpha interferon receptor complex.J Virol. 2002; 76: 12676-12682
- RACK1, an insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) receptor-interacting protein, modulates IGF-I-dependent integrin signaling and promotes cell spreading and contact with extracellular matrix.Mol Cell Biol. 2002; 22: 2345-2365
- The PKC targeting protein RACK1 interacts with the Epstein-Barr virus activator protein BZLF1.Eur J Biochem. 2000; 267: 3891-3901
- Rack1 binds HIV-1 Nef and can act as a Nef-protein kinase C adaptor.Virology. 2001; 283: 7-18
- The RACK1 scaffold protein: a dynamic cog in cell response mechanisms.Mol Pharmacol. 2002; 62: 1261-1273
- Prognostic relevance of cell proliferation in head and neck tumors.Ann Oncol. 2004; 15: 1319-1329
- Prognostic relevance of molecular markers of oral cancer–a review.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003; 32: 233-245
- Sobin L.H. Wittekind Ch. UICC TNM classification of malignant tumors. 6th ed. John Wiley, New York2002
- Phosphorylation of Akt (Ser473) is an excellent predictor of poor clinical outcome in prostate cancer.Cancer Res. 2004; 64: 5232-5236
Hosmer DW, Lemeshow S. Applied logistic regression, 2nd edition, New York:Wiley.
- Petricoin EF 3rd cancer proteomics: the state of the art.Dis Markers. 2001; 17: 49-57
- Clinical proteomics and biomarker discovery.Ann NY Acad Sci. 2004; 1022: 295-305
- Presentation, treatment, and outcome of oral cavity cancer: a National Cancer Data Base report.Head Neck. 2002; 24: 165-180
- American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 118-145
- Shaping the future of biomarker research in breast cancer to ensure clinical relevance.Nat Rev Cancer. 2007; 7: 309-315
- American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists 2000 update of recommendations for the use of tumor markers in breast and colorectal cancer: clinical practice guidelines of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 118-145
- RACK1 regulates integrin-mediated adhesion, protrusion, and chemotactic cell migration via its Src-binding site.Mol Biol Cell. 2003; 14: 658-669
- DD3 (PCA3), a very sensitive and specific marker to detect prostate tumors.Cancer Res. 2002; 62: 2695-2698
Published online: December 17, 2008
Accepted: November 4, 2008
Received: October 12, 2008
© 2008 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.