This study is the first one to compare WBRT + SRS to OP + WBRT for 1–3 brain metastases. Survival (OS), intracerebral control (IC) and local control (LC) of the treated metastases were retrospectively evaluated in 52 patients undergoing WBRT + SRS and in 52 patients undergoing OP + WBRT. Both groups were matched for WBRT schedule, age, gender, performance status, tumour, number of brain metastases, extracerebral metastases, RPA class and interval from tumour diagnosis to WBRT. One-year OS was 56% after WBRT + SRS and 47% after OP + WBRT (p = 0.034). One-year IC was 66% and 50% (p = 0.003). One-year LC was 82% and 66% (p = 0.006). On multivariate analyses, it was found that improved OS was associated with younger age (p = 0.044), no extracerebral metastases (p < 0.001), RPA class 1 (p < 0.001) and longer interval from tumour diagnosis to WBRT (p = 0.001). IC was associated with younger age (p = 0.002) and longer interval (p = 0.004); WBRT + SRS achieved borderline significance (p = 0.052). Improved LC was associated with longer interval (p = 0.017); WBRT + SRS showed a trend (p = 0.09). WBRT + SRS appears at least as effective as OP + WBRT.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Neurocognitive outcome in brain metastases patients treated with accelerated-fractionation vs. accelerated-hyperfractionated radiotherapy: an analysis from Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Study 91-04.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001; 51: 711-717
- Neurocognitive function and progression in patients with brain metastases treated with whole-brain radiation and motexafin gadolinium: results of a randomized phase III trial.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 157-165
- Neurocognitive function of patients with brain metastasis who received either whole brain radiotherapy plus stereotactic radiosurgery or radiosurgery alone.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007; 68: 1388-1395
- Defining the role of stereotactic radiosurgery versus microsurgery in the treatment of single brain metastases.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2000; 142: 621-626
- A comparison of surgical resection and stereotactic radiosurgery in the treatment of solitary brain metastases.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003; 55: 1169-1176
- Recursive partitioning analysis (RPA) of prognostic factors in three Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) brain metastases trials.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1997; 37: 745-751
- Non parametric estimation from incomplete observations.J Am Stat Assoc. 1958; 53: 457-481
- Common toxicity criteria: version 2.0. An improved reference for grading the acute effects of cancer treatment: impact on radiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2000; 47: 13-47
- Postoperative radiotherapy in the treatment of single metastases to the brain: a randomized trial.JAMA. 1998; 280: 1485-1489
- Adjuvant radiation therapy after surgical resection of solitary brain metastasis: association with pattern of failure and survival.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1987; 13: 1611-1616
- Resection for solitary brain metastasis. Role of adjuvant radiation and prognostic variables in 229 patients.J Neurosurg. 1992; 77: 531-540
- Stereotactic radiosurgery plus whole-brain radiation therapy vs stereotactic radiosurgery alone for treatment of brain metastases. A randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2006; 295: 2483-2491
- Radiosurgery for brain metastases: is whole brain radiotherapy necessary?.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1999; 43: 549-558
- The impact of whole-brain radiation therapy on the long-term control and morbidity of patients surviving more than one year after gamma knife radiosurgery for brain metastases.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2005; 62: 1125-1132
- Whole-brain radiotherapy in the management of brain metastasis.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 1295-1304
Published online: December 08, 2008
Accepted: October 15, 2008
Received in revised form: September 30, 2008
Received: July 25, 2008
© 2008 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.