Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- French survey of anaesthesia in 1996.Anesthesiology. 1999; 91: 1509-1520
- The elderly and postoperative pain treatment.Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2007; 21: 109-127
- Perioperative morbidity and mortality in elderly gynaecological Oncological patients (“70 years) by the American Society Anaesthesiologists Physical Status Classes.Ann Surg Onco. 2004; 11: 219-225
Cancer Research UK. Incidence – UK. [updated 21 Feb 2006; cited 23 July 2007]. <http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/images/pdfs/cs_incidence_feb_2006.pdf>; 2006.
- Surgery in the aged population.Arch Surg. 2003; 138: 1061-1067
Audit Commission. Anaesthesia under examination. Audit Commission, London; 1997.
- Effectiveness of acute postoperative pain management: I. Evidence from published data.Br J Anaesth. 2002; 89: 409-423
- Postoperative pain management in elderly patients: correlation between adherence to treatment guidelines and patient satisfaction.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 274-282
- Some patients don’t need analgesics after surgery.J R Soc Med. 1982; 75: 705-708
- Pain on a surgical ward: a survey of the duration and intensity of pain and the effectiveness of medication.Pain. 1987; 29: 67-72
- New concepts in acute pain therapy.Ann Long Term Care. 2004; 12: 18-24
National Pharmaceutical Council (NPC). Pain: current understanding of assessments, management and treatments [updated May 2005; cited: 23 July 2007]. <http://www.npcnow.org/resources/alphabetical.asp#P>; 2001.
Page, GG. Acute pain and immune impairment. Pain clinical update; 2005. p. 8.
- Postoperative pain management for the aging patient.Geriatr Aging. 2006; 8: 395-398
Gfk NOP. 2005 Pain Survey. British Pain Society 2005 [updated 2006; cited 23 July 2007]. <http://www.britishpainsociety.org/media_surveys.htm>.
- The epidemiology of chronic pain in the community.Lancet. 1999; 354: 1248-1252
Fricker, J. Pain in Europe Survey [cited 23 July 2007]. http://www.paineurope.com/files/PainInEuropeSurvey_2.pdf; 2003.
World Health Organisation. Cancer pain relief (2nd ed.). With a guide to opioid availability, Geneva: WHO; 1996. p. 36–7.
Colleau, SM. Pain in the elderly with cancer. Cancer pain release. World Health Organization [cited 23 July 2007]. http://www.whocancerpain.wisc.edu/eng/13_2/13_2.html; 2000.
- Cancer pain.JAMA. 2003; 290: 2476-2479
Davar G, Honore P. What causes cancer pain? Pain clinical update; 2002. p. 10.
British National Formulary (BNF) 51, Vinca alkaloids and etoposide; 2006.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) AHRQ Evidence Reports No. 35. Management of Cancer Pain [cited 23 July 2007].<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=hstat1.chapter.49577>; 2001.
- Factors affecting intravenous analgesic requirements after colectomy.J Am Coll Surg. 2002; 197: 780-785
- Effects of psychoeducational care for adult surgical patients: a meta-analysis of 191 studies.Pat Educ Couns. 1992; 19: 129-142
- A qualitative and quantitative systematic review of preemptive analgesia for postoperative pain relief: the role of timing of analgesia.Anesthesiology. 2002; 96: 725-741
Aida, S. The challenge of pre-emptive analgesia. Pain Clinic Updates; 2005. p. 8.
McCaffrey M. Nursing practice theories related to cognition, bodily pain and man-environmental interactions. UCLA Student store, Los Angeles (USA); 1968.
Colleau, SM. Aging, pain & cancer: The role of geriatrics, oncology and palliative care. An interview with Dr. Janet Abrahm & Dr. Lodovico Balducci. Cancer Pain Release 2004. http://www.whocancerpain.wisc.edu/eng/17_1-2/Interview.html.
- Nurses’ assessment of pain in surgical patients.J Adv Nurs. 2004; 52: 125-132
- Prediction and assessment of the severity of post-operative pain and of management.Pain. 1998; 75: 177-185
- Pain assessment in the nonverbal patient: position statement with clinical practice recommendations.Pain Manage Nurs. 2006; 7: 44-52
- The McGill pain questionnaire: major properties and scoring methods.Pain. 1975; 1: 277-299
- Graphic representation of pain.Pain. 1976; 2: 175-184
- The Faces Pain Scale for the self-assessment of the severity of pain experienced by children: development, initial validation, and preliminary investigation for ratio scale properties.Pain. 1990; 41: 139-150
Merck Manual of Geriatrics. Pain. http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmg/figures/43f1.jsp; 2006 [chapter 43].
- Assessing pain intensity in older adults.Geriatr Aging. 2006; 9: 399-402
- The checklist of nonverbal pain indicators.Pain Manage Nurs. 2000; 1: 13-21
- Pain tolerance: differences according to age, sex, and race.Psychosom Med. 1972; 3: 548-556
- Sex differences in pain.Behav Brain Sci. 1997; 20: 371-380
- The genetic mediation of individual differences in sensitivity to pain and its inhibition.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1999; 96: 7744-7751
- Population genetic structure of variable drug response.Nat Genet. 2001; 29: 265-269
- Recent advances in postoperative pain therapy.Br J Anaesth. 2005; 95: 43-51
- Efficacy and safety of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs for cancer pain: a meta-analysis.J Clin Oncol. 1994; 12: 2756-2765
Eisenberg E, Franco Marinangeli, Paladini A, Varrassi G. Time to modify the WHO analgesic ladder? Pain clinical updates; 2005. p. 8.
Colleau, SM. Appraising the WHO analgesic ladder on its 20th anniversary. An Interview with Dr. Kathleen M. Foley. Cancer Pain Release, vol. 19(1); 2006 [cited 23/07/07]. http://www.whocancerpain.wisc.edu/eng/19_1/19_1.html.
- Predicting postoperative analgesia outcomes: NNT league tables or procedure-specific evidence?.Br J Anaesth. 2005; 94: 710-714
Bandolier. The Oxford league table of analgesic efficacy [cited 23 July 2007]. <http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/painpag/Acutrev/Analgesics/lftab.html>; 2006.
Oneschuk D. Morphine vs hydromorphone vs oxycodone vs the fentanyl patch [cited 23 July 2007]. Palliative Care Tips. Palliative.org http://www.palliative.org/PC/ClinicalInfo/PCareTips/MorphineVSHydromorphine.html; 2004.
- Pain management. Palliative care perspectives. Oxford University Press, 2003 ([chapter 4])
- Management of postoperative analgesia in elderly patients.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2005; 30: 363-379
- Demographics, assessment and management of pain in the elderly.Drugs Aging. 2003; 20: 23-57
Goodyear-Smith F, Farnell A. Recommendations for pain management in palliative care”. NZ Fam Phys 2001 [cited: 23 July 2007].<http://www.rnzcgp.org.nz/news/nzfp/April2001/focus_gys.htm>.
Gudin J. Dose finding for breakthrough pain. Medscape Neurol Neurosurg 2006 [cited: 23 July 2007].<http:www.medscape.com/viewarticle/549585>.
Cook D. New Frontiers in geriatrics research: an agenda for surgical and related medical specialties. American Geriatrics Society; 2003 [cited: 23 July 2007]. <http://www.frycomm.com/ags/rasp/acknowledgments.asp> [chapter 2: Geriatric anaesthesia].
De Nicola A, Thompson C. Post-operative pain. Virtual anaesthesia textbook; 2006 [cited: 23 July 2007]. <http://www.virtual-anaesthesia-textbook.com/index.shtml>.
Bruera, E. Alternate routes for opiod therapy. Pain Clinical Updates; 1993. p. 1.
Regional Drug and Therapeutics Centre. . ‘Cox-2 selective inhibitors’. Drug Update; 2005.
- Long-term use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and the risk of myocardial infarction in the general population.BMC Med. 2005; 3: 17
- Effects of acetaminophen on morphine side-effects after major surgery” meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.Br J Anaesth. 2005; 94: 505-513
Palma, G. Paracetamol by any route. Justifying the place of IV paracetamol in peri-operative pain management. Presentation at SPANZA Scientific Meeting 18 August 2006. Abstract from: <http://www.spanza.org.au/Queenstown06/abstracts/SPANZA%20Greta%20Palmer.Presentation%20Synopsis%20IV%20Paracetamol%20Pal.pdf>.
Agency for Healthcare Policy and Research. Acute pain management: operative or medical procedures and trauma clinical practice guideline. AHCPR Publication 92-0032. Public Health Service, US Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, MD; 1992.
Severn A. EJC [this issue].
Meadows M. Managing chronic pain. FDA Consumer Magazine; March–April 2004, Issue Pub No. FDA 04-1336C.